Friday, August 9, 2013

Bunker to Leave LCO Minneapolis Urban Office


By on 2:17 PM

by Iva Bunker, memo to LCO TGB June 8, 2013

Sometimes the best way to solve a problem is to stop participating in the problem, beginning July 1; I will no longer be a participant of the Lac Courte Oreilles Urban Office. The office is a wonderful, visionary idea that was in the back of our minds for many years, but because it is so visionary, not everyone on the Reservation can see it, the office is essentially an extension of our tribal sovereignty to our urban members.

Since July 1, 2011, when we opened the doors; our members came and showed their support; we have over 750 members in the Twin City and seven county-metro area and I understand it takes time to get broader participation as we had back in 1995 with the LCO Chapter, but I know that they care about the LCO Office being here. When called on I was available to help where I could. Since opening we have issued over 100 tribal IDs and numerous replacement cards, there have been requests that were genuinely in need that our budget could not handle, however, I was able to refer out to agencies that could help. I am also trained as a LCO Indian Child Welfare Act expert witness for tribal cases held in Hennepin County. On numerous occasions Tribal Staff parked their vehicles at our secure parking and got rides to the airport thus saving costly parking.

Despite current Facebook references to me not assisting with a member and her husband I did offer to help hold a fundraiser for her husband here, but she choose to go to LCO and do it there. It is my understanding that they are receiving help from their insurance company and getting the resources they need now. There are members who come from the Reservation to our office seeking help either for emergencies or non-emergencies for instance last Thursday, June 6, a couple came to see me for help getting back home, she apparently lost her wallet, I filled their gas tank and they were grateful that we were here for them. Earlier that morning a young man came in because he has been sleeping in his car and he has been homeless, we referred him to a shelter until we can get him permanent placement through another program and he received advice on how to apply for a school and another program that would help expunge his felony and help finding a job to get him by.

Since 1995, I have been issuing GLIFWC hunting tags and now I will no longer be doing this for LCO members including other Tribes (Red Cliff and Bad River) this means hunters will have to buy a state tag or go to the Reservations.

Currently, LCO member Gordon Coons has his art on our walls and he has done this since we opened to showcase Tribal member art work, what is now hanging is part of a traveling art show and will be taken down in July.

As for the $90,000 dollar rumor, it has been over 31 months (since we've opened) this averages $27,900 a year, which is on the low end of running a program here in Minneapolis. This amounts includes: market rate rent of $2,025.00 at $24,300 a year and includes added services such as phone, long distance, internet, a receptionist and copies, we would not get this rental rate in another facility. With regard to my salary before retirement I was at $55,000, my current salary for the Urban Office with no benefits is $1,187 per month or $14, 244 a year not to mention the fact that I received no salary for the first several months of operation; this is definite savings and at this amount we are definitely underfunded for the 31 months of operation, we are comparable with the five other Tribal offices located in the Twin Cities. As you recall, I was at the meeting in January 2013 (Martin Luther King Day) where the budget was discussed for the Minneapolis Office, the Chairman's salary of $55,000 was deemed a donation along with the Tribes donation of $15,000 reduced from the previous year of $20,000.

Out of this experience, I learned no matter how you try to do the right thing there will always be attacks on the integrity and accountability of our service to tribal members. Over the last decade or longer the Lac Courte Oreilles Tribe lost its reputation as Pride of the Ojibwe, until two years ago our financial situation was at the brink of collapse and since the “turn around” as a member, I was once again very encouraged and proud of our leadership, however, we let the selfish attacks by a handful of members dictate our vision. I have since lost my passion and dedication to keep the Urban office open under my leadership thus, it is my feeling is to take the office out of the line of fire, thereby eliminating those targets of unfounded controversy and negativity. Thank you for your support for this office.

About LCO News

The LCO News Team works to deliver news and events coverage through publication of a monthly newspaper and it's online version at www.LCONews.com. For more information, contact Lonnie Barber at (715) 634-8934.

1 comments:

  1. I personally feel Iva's passion for the Minneapolis Urban Office. I found her and this office very helpful and beneficial to me. It was much easier to stay in touch with my inner spirit and to participate. I currently do not have the funds to drive to the reservation in Wisconsin, even though if I could do so without the expenses I would. Sincerely Joanne Wiseman

    ReplyDelete