Saturday, December 14, 2013

Beading Traditions: Ojibwe Floral Mural Underway at LCO


By on 10:00 AM

Hello, my name is Jessica Gokey. I live on the Lac Courte Oreilles Reservation in Hayward Wisconsin. I have been beading for over ten years and have current works of beadwork art in local art galleries and have been commissioned to make pieces of beadwork for people. I have also won an award this past August for Best Traditional Artist 2013 at the Ojibwe Cultural Arts Festival. I work on my beadwork full time to keep the tradition alive.

I am writing to your today to inform you about the launch of my new project, Beading Traditions.

My project that I am designing and planning to execute is an Ojibwe Floral Mural, but the twist is the mural will be beaded on broadcloth. I will be designing a mural which will measure 9 feet long and 4 and half feet wide. I plan to get black broadcloth material, which is durable wool, and make four sections. Each section will be beaded in Ojibwe floral designs I will have pre-drawn out for the mural. After each section is beaded, it will be sewn together to make one large mural wall piece. This will be the first beaded Native American floral mural.

Each person that makes a contribution will have their name put on the back of the mural for their thanks to make this project happen.

I would like to ask you for your help! I NEED YOUR SUPPORT! Please visit my page on Hatchfund.
http://bit.ly/17x5Mjp

PLEASE HELP PRESERVE TRADITIONAL NATIVE AMERICAN BEADWORK!
I also have a facebook page with information about the project and updates about the process of the project. www.facebook.com/beadingtraditions.

FYI ALL DONATIONS ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE!!!! MIIGWETCH for your time and support, Jessica Gokey

About LCO News

The LCO News Team works to deliver news and events coverage through publication of a monthly newspaper and it's online version at www.LCONews.com. For more information, contact Lonnie Barber at (715) 634-8934.

0 comments:

Post a Comment